Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Buttermilk (sigh...) Buttermilk

Last Christmas I received a book of recipes for use in a cast iron skillet.  I love the use of skillets and dutch ovens to make hearty recipes.  It makes me feel like a ‘cookie’ on a cattle drive, minus, of course, the availability of a gas stove and oven, that sort of thing.  Hey, I can pretend though, can’t I?!  

But anyway, we decided that it was time for me to make something out of it so that I would have something to write about for Roast the Prize.  We decided on a brisket hash with Yukon potatoes.  It sounded delicious and easy to make, but it didn't quite turn out that way.


The preparation was relatively easy.  Chop the onions, the meat, ready the potatoes.  Everything was going just peachy.  


Then it all went into the skillet.  


My first problem was the seasoning.  It never even crossed my mind to season everything while it was cooking.  Later on, I asked my mom to come and taste it, and darn if she didn't take one look and then called it ‘albino.’


My second problem was cream.  Just a little advice from ol' Timmy. When you go to grab the heavy cream out of the fridge, make sure it does not say BUTTERMILK on the front of the carton.  Thankfully, it didn't alter the taste too badly, but it is still ridiculous.  


All in all, it ended up pretty good, especially with an egg cracked over the top.  

I would like to return to it again someday, and this time, I’ll leave the buttermilk alone!


Tim Young

No comments:

Post a Comment